Let natural beauty take its course!
Someone wise once said, if you cannot go to the spa then you must bring the spa to you. And what better time to try out some natural and homemade beauty hacks than right now when most of us are staying indoors.
We have picked out some beauty remedies that will keep you feeling refreshed and looking beautiful. All this from the comfort of your home and using basic ingredients that are available in your kitchens. Here’s the complete list:
1. Coffee Eye Mask to reduce dark circles
The endless chores can overwhelm the best of us and make us look tired and puffy. And while we fuel our mornings with coffee, did you know that it is a key ingredient in this home remedy to get rid of dark circles? If you didn’t, then read up!
- Take 2 tablespoons of organic ground coffee powder and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil. To make and use the eye mask, put tablespoons of coffee powder into a bowl. Then add in 2 tablespoons (equal ratio) of coconut oil. Mix it well. Now, cleanse your face and apply the mixture or eye mask under your eyes. Keep it for 15 minutes and remove the excess coffee powder since you have to massage in the coffee oil. Massage the under eye area with your ring finger gently for about 3 to 4 minutes and then wipe off the oil.
- Look fresh with this coffee eye mask. Caffeine in coffee can tighten skin, smooth puffiness, fight free radicals, and reduce dark under-eye circles and wrinkles around the eyes.
2. Foot mask for cracked feet
Not taking proper care of feet can result in cracked feet. Those with dry skin should be more careful and moisturise properly to avoid cracks. You can try this home-made remedy for smooth skin on your feet.
- Add raw stone salt, a few teaspoons of lemon juice, one or two teaspoons of glycerin and rose water into half a bucket of warm water. Now, dip your cleaned feet in this warm water for 15 minutes. You need to scrub off the loose skin from your feet using a pumice stone or a foot scrubber. This will help you to easily get rid of dry skin. Another way is to prepare a thick paste of glycerin, rose water and lemon juice and apply this paste to the areas where you notice cracks. You can leave it there overnight and wash it off in the morning or you can also wash it off after half an hour.
- This DIY remedy will reduce cracks in your feet and keep your feet moisturised.
3. Natural Exfoliating Scrub for feet
With preventive measures taken at the right time and when done regularly, it is easy to control the cracks on feet. If the cracks under the heel do not go away with normal scrubbing of your feet, then you can prepare a natural exfoliating scrub to apply on the cracked areas.
- Mix a few teaspoons of honey, apple cider vinegar to coarse rice flour powder and make a coarse paste. Soak your feet in a bucket of warm water for 20 minutes and then apply this paste under your feet. Leave it overnight and rinse it off first thing in the morning.
- This hack will prevent your feet from developing more cracks and keep them smooth and moisturised.
4. Beachy Waves with a straightener
Want an easy and relaxed look for your zoom video calls? You’ll never guess what could help you to rock smooth, sleek strands. A flat iron straightener!
- Apply a heat protector and section your hair. Start using the iron at eye level so that the beach waves begin a few inches away from the top of the head. Place the flat iron into the first section at eye level. Clamp the hair and rotate the iron back slightly. Slide the iron along the strand and continue to rotate the iron for a total of one-half of a turn. Keep lots of tension on the hair, kind of like scissoring a ribbon to curl it. Release the flat iron before you reach the end. Run your fingers through the curl to set the wave.
- This versatile hair styling tool can help you get a modern, relaxed look that you can show off during your zoom calls with family or friends.
5. Oatmeal Honey Face Scrub
To give your skin a deep scrub, there’s a simple recipe that you can make using only three basic home ingredients. Yes, you read that right. Just three!
- First you need to ground oatmeal into a fine powder. Next mix two proportions of oatmeal with one part honey and one part of oil (almond or coconut). Mix it all until you get a thick paste.
- You can add some water if it gets too clumpy. Apply it on your face for 4-5 minutes and then wash it off. Your face will feel smooth and amazing if you do this regularly. Let lockdown not get in your way of looking great.
6. Natural Lip Scrub
It’s the dry season everywhere in India and with this comes dry, cracked lips. While going outside or ordering your favourite lip balm may not be possible for some time, here’s a simple home-made recipe you can try to get smoother lips.
- Mix teaspoon each of Brown Sugar, White Sugar and Honey with 1/2 Teaspoon of Olive Oil. Apply this scrub to your lips and massage it around for about 20 seconds or so. Wipe off and don’t be surprised to see smoother lips!
- These ingredients are antibacterial and naturally moisturising so they help to heal the skin on your lips. Make sure you try it soon.
7. Aloe Sunburn Cream
Sooth your sunburns or skin irritations and provide instant, cooling relief using this DIY Aloe Vera cream.
- If you have an aloe vera plant, all you have to do is break a chunk off it. You’ll see a gel emerging from the inside. Apply the gel directly to the skin for relief from minor sunburn.
- You can make a sunburn cream adding some more basic ingredients. Home Hack: Mix 1 cup aloe gel, 1/3 cup coconut oil, 3 Tablespoons shea butter and 5-10 drops Essential oil of choice: chamomile, rose, jojoba oil. Use a blender to combine all ingredients together in a non-plastic bowl.
- Whip it up so that the coconut oil and shea butter take on a thick, creamy consistency. When the cream is smooth, spoon it into a mason jar with a lid.
- This recipe does not need to be refrigerated, but it is ultra-soothing when it is.
8. A Home-made DIY Pedicure
Forget not to pamper your feet. It’s the feet that bear the maximum brunt of your day but when it comes to beauty, most women only focus on the face or body. With this DIY pedicure, your feet can also get the care they deserve.
- Take lukewarm water in a bathtub or a bucket. Add some lemon juice, one tablespoon baking soda, some drops of liquid soap and mix it well. Soak your feet in the tub for ten minutes. Scrub your feet, rub your heels properly and lastly clean your toenails.
9. Anti-ageing Cocoa Face Mask
Who doesn’t feel great when their skin looks youthful? Here’s a simple DIY recipe for a decadent antioxidant face mask that replenishes moisture and gives your face a fresh, youthful glow.
- Mix 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon honey, and one egg white. Apply to your face and let it dry before rinsing.
- As a form of lactic acid, sour cream hydrates the skin as it gently exfoliates while honey boosts hydration and the protein in the egg white makes the skin firm.
10. Lemon Juice Highlights for Hair
What if you knew a natural way to subtly change your hair colour? You would be surprised to see just how easy it is to do. With just one ingredient – lemon juice!
- Apply lemon juice to your hair and comb it through gently. Next, head out onto your balcony or patio for 45 minutes so that the sun and lemon juice get to know each other. Repeat this every two weeks or so for a gradual lightening of your hair. Stop whenever the intended result has been achieved.
Most of us look to transform our looks with every season, and this is the perfect way to make your hair look glam naturally.